Thursday, August 5, 2010

Echoes Of The Past

As you all know I was recently accepted as a Design Team Member over at Let’s Scrap. Anyone interested in becoming a DT member was asked to submit a layout using this fabulous sketch that was made by Cheri O’Neill the owner of the group.



The sketch was perfect for a layout I wanted to do for my heritage album. Because I always do two page layouts for this album I decided to just mirror the sketch. Here is my layout.



These are pictures of my Great Grandparents William Eli Edwin Thomas and Mary Permilla Lavina Howey on my Mother’s side of the family. Also in the picture are my Grandfather, William Justice Thomas who is the youngest boy in the picture and his brother Samuel Eli. They had such interesting names back then, didn’t they? The pictures would have been taken around 1894.
I was thrilled when I found some lace in my stash that had several designs on it, one of which looked just like a banner. So I carefully cut it apart to use on the layout. The lace was originally white but I wanted it more of a cream color. Eila Sandberg, a friend, I met in another group was kind enough to explain how I could dye it with tea bags and water. Thanks Eila.
I made the flowers out of ribbon and used some of the Easy Brad Maker brads for the centre’s. On the green ones I placed pearls which I changed the color to cream using some glimmer powder. On the gold ones I cut out tiny clocks from Graphics 45 paper and then put one of the brad maker clear crystals over them. The fabric feathers were just from the dollar store. The lace butterfly was from an old broach that I took the back off of. Most of the paper used was card stock but there is some Basic Grey Cappella mixed in there to. I used my sissors to distress the edge of the cream cardstock and lots of Antique Linen Distress ink to distress all the papers.
I belong to a Heritage Scrapbooking site and my friend Karen Moore from that group mentioned that she was using a key on each of her heritage layouts so there would be some continuity through out the album. I thought this sounded like a great idea. The first heritage page I did had, had a key, butterflies, a ticket stub and clocks on it. I couldn’t decide which of these I wanted to repeat throughout my album so I decided to use all four. I don’t use them all on every page but do make sure to use some of them. As you can see on this one I used the key, butterfly and the clock.
I hope you enjoyed seeing the layout and Happy Scrapping.

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At August 5, 2010 at 9:34 PM , Blogger 2amscrapper said...

a wonderful vintage take on the sketch!

 
At August 6, 2010 at 9:21 AM , Blogger D said...

I love this layout Betty. It is so gorgeous!!! Your handmade flowers are my favorite :))

 
At August 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Stacy H-W said...

I love this layout too. You really have a special touch with heritage. I love the idea of using an item for continuity and those flowers are beautiful. Hugs, Stacy H-W

 
At August 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM , Blogger Betty Anne said...

Thank so much for you sweet comments.

 
At August 9, 2010 at 5:57 AM , Blogger Chelsea said...

Gorgeous layout! Great idea on mirroring the sketch. I love your handmade flowers, they are so elegant and so perfect for your layout.
Luv,
Chelsea

 
At August 9, 2010 at 4:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful LO Bety Anne! I am always impressed with heritage LO's, I never seem to get them right. I love the use of colors and all the fun things that there are to see!
And not to forget: Those pics are simply AMAZING!

 
At August 11, 2010 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Betty Anne said...

Thank you all so much, your sweet comments mean so much to me.

 
At September 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM , Blogger Chanray said...

i love these pages with old photos, , yours are gorgeous.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home