Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Heritage Layout - My Great Grandmother








It's taken me a lot longer to get this layout done than I had planned but I finally finished it tonight. It's another heritage layout, this time of my Great Grandmother Ann Brisco. As you may remember a while back I did a layout of my Great Grandfather who was Ann's husband. I had a lot of journaling to do and I was having trouble finding a way to hide it to make room to put another picture and keepsake on the layout. Retta, a friend in my Scrapbooking Class yahoo group, suggested a steamer trunk and was kind enough to make me a svg. that I could cut out with my Cricut. Its so nice to have friends who are willing to lend a hand when needed. Thanks Retta. I used grunge board paper and walnut distress ink for the straps on the trunk. The buckles, brads and lock were made to look rusted by using glossy accents and alcohol ink and then using the heat gun on them. I got the idea for the rusted look from this tutorial Magnets hold the buckles down and the bottom closed. I did a lot of distressing and some tearing of the paper. The paper is from the Graphic 45 line. I just love their paper for my heritage pages.

Karen, another cyber friend, had mentioned that when she did her heritage layouts that she was going to put a key of some sort on each layout to create some continuity. I loved the idea but couldn't decide which item from my Great Grandfathers layout to use for my Great Grandmothers so I used three items instead LOL. I put some butterflies, the ticket stub and if you look closely at the three flowers on the first page you will see a small clock in the centre of one of them.

Some of my siblings, nieces and nephew's are interested in the heritage layouts I do so I've put a close up of the journaling so that they can read a little about their ancestor. Anyone else that is interested please feel free to read it to. The pictures in the locket have yellowed quite a bit which is understandable as it was left to my grandfather in 1914 but was probably worn by Ann for many years before that. I hope that everyone enjoys the layout. I know I had lots of fun making it.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At March 31, 2010 at 7:26 PM , Blogger D said...

What a fantastic layout. I think you really captured the age. You addition of red butterfly added just the right hint of color and the quote was perfect.

 
At March 31, 2010 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Betty Anne said...

Thanks so much Denise. It took a lot more work than I expected but I'm really pleased with the outcome.

 
At April 1, 2010 at 4:32 AM , Blogger luverlie said...

Beautiful job once again! Your layouts are just gorgeous. tfs.

 
At April 1, 2010 at 7:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betty this is gorgeous!!!! I love the trunk!

 
At April 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM , Blogger Betty Anne said...

thank you so much Elaine and Olenka.

 
At April 2, 2010 at 5:28 AM , Blogger Formerly known as: Queen of Bling said...

Wow, you did an amazing job! Your relatives should be proud. It's just beautiful and thanks for sharing the link on the rusted accents. I found that quite informative. :-)

 
At April 2, 2010 at 10:17 AM , Blogger KAT said...

What a fabulous layout and the vintage pictures of your G. Grandmother - how priceless are those! Love your use of the drunken scotch! Thanks for letting me know that you used it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home