Monday, January 31, 2011

Project 2011Scrap Our Stash - The First Month



     On the first of January my friend Denise from Lala's World encouraged many of her scrapping friends to sign up for Project 2011 Scrap Our Stash.  So basically you would sign up one month at a time and you would try to only use your scrapping stash. Then on the first of each month we would visit each of the participants blogs to see how they did and give encouragement to all. You can then decide whether you want to sign up for February.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it but thought I would give the first month a try anyway.
     When I signed up I never thought about all the great after Christmas sales that would be going on. So my first shopping trip of 2011 brought me two doors down from my local scrapbook store.  There was a sign in the store letting everyone know that everything in the store was 25% off.  I've got to tell you it was so hard not to pop in to see what great deals I could get. But I was good and turned and walked the other way.
     The next store I went to was the dollar store and there right inside their door was all their Christmas paper, stickers etc. on sale at 50% off.  I even picked up a couple of items but decided to put them back.
     My next stop was Walmart, and again just inside the store along with all their Christmas decorations they had their Christmas stickers, album kits, ribbons etc all at 75% off. It was like the scrapping gods were daring me to break the New Years resolution of only scrapping our stash.  I thought real hard about the fact that I wasn't going to get a better deal then 75% off but I also knew if I gave in at that store I would end up going back to the others. So I turned tail and RAN.  I didn't even stick around long enough to buy what I went into he store for LOL
     For the rest of the month I worked really hard on scrapping my stash and I even broke out some of the tools and things I have bought in the past and had never even used. So I'm pretty proud of myself for making it through the month without buying any scrapping goodies.  When I ran out of my favorite adhesive I even pulled out some old stuff I had and used it up. It wasn't until a couple of days ago while corresponding with Denise that I found out that things like adhesive, blades, cardstock etc. weren't counted so I could have bought some of those items.  It's probably a good thing that I didn't know because I'm afraid if I had gone into the store to buy any of them I might have been tempted to buy other things too. The only thing that I spent money on was having pictures developed. I even was careful to only develop what I knew I would use rather then all the pictures I took. I find with digital camera's I tend to take many more shots then I will need just to be sure I get just the right picture.
     So I have decided that I will sign back up for February. It may be difficult because I'm hosting a Close To My Heart party at my home next weekend.  I'm hoping to have enough sales to get a few free items but I will also have a chance to get some 50% off items also.  So I'll just have to see how it goes.
     If you would like to join in on the fun then head on over to Denise's blog, Lala's World and sign up.  I would love to have some of my friends join in.

11 Comments:

At January 31, 2011 at 8:55 AM , Blogger Bev said...

Betty Anne this sounds like a pretty good idea. I managed to get through the blog hop only buying paper for Amy's challenge. I think I will try this out for February. Hugs Bev

 
At January 31, 2011 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Lea said...

What a great idea but I just can't commit to something that extreme... at least not this month :) but I'm going to keep it in mind!

 
At January 31, 2011 at 4:20 PM , Blogger Kristie said...

I am so impressed that you were able to walk away from an LSS 25% off sale. No way would I have been able to do that! Well, course not, I don't HAVE a LSS!

Way to go Betty Anne!!!

 
At January 31, 2011 at 5:24 PM , Blogger Deb C said...

I did buy tools, too, but it was nice to use up one of my card kits. I will definitely participate in February - would love to see what you made from your stash!

 
At January 31, 2011 at 5:34 PM , Blogger D said...

Your story about having to run out of the store cracks me up every time. Hilarious!!!! Signing up for February too?! I never thought I'd see you do two months in row. You go girl!!! You absolutely rocked January. Talk about willpower!

 
At January 31, 2011 at 5:54 PM , Blogger Me-Ma Kim said...

CONGRATS on your WILLPOWER!! It's NOT EASY, but it's gonna be SO WORTH IT!! Good Luck in February!! Have a GREAT Day,
Me-Ma Kim

 
At January 31, 2011 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Carolina said...

Well, the scrapping gods are giving you a harder time than they've given me!!!! I think you have been so good that you deserve to get some stuff at this upcoming event. Maybe you could set a number beforehand, and buy only that number of things.

 
At January 31, 2011 at 7:17 PM , Blogger ChelleStamps said...

Betty Anne,
Thanks so much for posting this. I literally jumped right over there and signed up. I am the worst offender. Being a buyer in a craft chain for three years has left me with enough product that I shouldn't have to buy any for years lol.
I know that eventually I will, but I need to really examine whether or not I need it. And, maybe if something comes in the room, an equivelant item has to go out.

 
At January 31, 2011 at 8:39 PM , Blogger MadeByKarla said...

Woohooo!!! You did so great! So much better than I did! Congratulations :) I think you deserve a day off. For one day you should go get your adhesives and whatever else you need at the craft store.

 
At February 1, 2011 at 6:59 AM , Blogger Michele's Scrapy Creations said...

Woohoo! you did great! It is hard to walk away from good sale. Looking forward to this month goals.

 
At February 2, 2011 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

OMG!! Congrats on your willpower!! Good Luck in February!

Liz

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home