Sunday, June 27, 2010

You Amaze Me

I can’t believe it been 9 days since my last post. At times life just gets to busy and I don’t get as much scrapping done as I would like. I’ve been working on a layout for the June Month Long Challenge over at Let’s Scrap. Becky at Pagemap’s is letting us use one of her sketches.

Here is the pagemap




As you all know I like to do twe page layouts so I used one of Cheri O'Neils sketchs over at Let's Scrap.  If you have never seen Cheri's sketches you are really missing out so why not hop over and join Let's Scrap.

The layout I did is about my 22 year old son Jason.  Two years ago he severed his spinal cord at the neck in a car accident which left him a quadriplegic.  He is totally paralyzed from mid chest down and although he can move his arms and flex his wrists his fingers are also paralyzed.  Before his accident Jason’s loved playing hockey. When he found out he was paralyzed his first comment wasn’t that he wouldn’t walk again but instead that he would never play hockey again. He looked into playing sledge hockey but unfortunately you need the use of your hands to play so it was not possible for him. But he didn’t let that get him down he just started looking at alternatives.
While he was at the Rehabilitation Centre learning new skills he would go down and watch other quadriplegics play wheelchair rugby. He became friends with several of the men there. He was not strong enough at that time to really play so since coming home he has been working hard with his physio therapist to regain his strength and to use a manual wheelchair. In May of this year he returned to the gym at the Rehabilitation Centre to join his friends in a game of Rugby. He absolutely loved it and has returned each week to play. For now they are just playing and practicing as there are no team games during the summer but he hopes in the fall to join an actual team.
Two of the men he is playing with are on Team Canada and they have been wonderful in teaching him many of the techniques. He now has a dream to get a chance to play on Team Canada and with his positive attitude and determination I have no doubt he will make that happen.

So here is the layout I did about him playing rugby.





The journaling is taken from part of a note his Aunt Cathy wrote him on facebook after seeing pictures of him playing.  It reads "Jason you amaze me with your positive attitude and determination to live life no matter what obstacles are put in your way."   This truly describes Jason.  The tags say Inspire, Believe, Imagine, Hope and Courage. 
If you are interested in learning more about Wheelchair Rugby just google it and you find many sites that talk about it.  Another name for it is Murder Ball because it can be quite rough.  That's not really the name of a sport a mother wants here son playing and when I expressed concern Jason with his sense of humor just said "What's wrong Mom are you afraid I'll break my neck, I've been there, done that and bought the t-shirt.  So don't worry" LOL
I hope you liked the layout and Happy Scrapping.

7 Comments:

At June 27, 2010 at 11:48 AM , Blogger 2amscrapper said...

Such an amazingly inspirational story to go with your amazing layout. Thanks for sharing it.

 
At June 27, 2010 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Create With Joy said...

Jason is an amazing person - I know you are so proud of him - and his story is an inspiration to us all!

Great layout btw Betty Anne!

Hugs
Ramona
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

 
At June 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM , Blogger Betty Anne said...

Thank you both so much.

 
At June 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM , Blogger Chelsea said...

Yes he is an Amazing person! wow! He is such an inspiration! I'm so glad to see you scrap about his story. Thanks for sharing with us. Your layout is so wonderful!
Luv,
Chelsea

 
At June 29, 2010 at 11:32 AM , Blogger Betty Anne said...

Thank you so much Chelsea. I've had a hard time scrapping about him so am trying work on it.

 
At July 1, 2010 at 1:26 AM , Blogger Carolina said...

I have read your story at Let's Scrap, Betty Anne, and I was so happy when I entered your blog and saw this layout. The layout is great, the journalling is fabulous but, above all, it is great that you have overcome your scrapping block! Will be waiting for more!

 
At July 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I already saw this LO at Let's Scrap but I wanted to say again: You must be so proud of your DS and what he has achieved so far (and mostlikely will) and how braveo f you to scrap and blog about this major thing in your lives. Great layout!

Have a great weekend!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home