Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Our Most Prized Possessions Are Our Family Memories

If your looking for my Let's Scrap Blog Hop Post you can find it here.

Kristie, a friend I met through Let's Scrap, is on the design team of Cookbookin. I joined their blog quite a while ago but hadn't had a chance to make a layout for them yet.  Then in December, Cheri O'Neill, from Let's Scrap made a fantastic sketch for them.  If you follow my blog you know that I just love Cheri's sketches.  So I decided that I would enter their sketch challenge.  
Here is Cheri's sketch


and here is my layout

     The lady in the picture is my mother.  As far back as I can remember my mother made chocolate candy at Christmas.  It was like a very sugary and sweet fudge.  After all six children grew up and had children of our own my Mother found that she really couldn't afford to buy gifts for everyone.  So each year she would make up batches of her candy and each family would get a little box filled with it.   I can't say it was the best candy/fudge I have ever tasted but biting into that sweet treat always brought back fond memories for me.
     My Mother passed away 8 years ago this month.  Just before Christmas I got thinking about her and her candy.   I thought that the recipe was long gone and I would never get the chance to ever taste it again.  But I started to make some phone calls to my sisters and learned that my youngest sister Cathy actually had my Mothers original recipe. So during our family Christmas get together she brought it down to me.  The paper was well worn with add notes on it in different color pen, but it was my Mother's handwriting.
     My Mother was an old fashioned cook and many of her recipes didn't have measurements.  Often they would say a pinch of this or a dash of that or even at times a handful of this.  In this recipe one of the ingredients was a hunk of butter. How big is a HUNK of butter?? She then had drawn an arrow from the butter down to the bottom of the page and it said - a dessert spoon heaped like an egg. Ohhh so that's a hunk of butter, then in different pen and obviously added later on it said - 2 tablespoons of butter.  Geesh she couldn't have said that in the first place. LOL
     I ended up making a batch of the candy a couple of days before Christmas.  I made some with the cocoa in it and also some without it.  I can't even explain how happy I was when I took that first bite and was whisked back to my childhood and sitting in our old kitchen watching my Mother make it.  It was just pure joy. 





Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At January 27, 2011 at 12:30 AM , Blogger Bev said...

OHHH Betty Anne I loved reading this sweet story. What a lovely memoey and you are right ~ family memories are our most prized possession!!!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 5:45 AM , Blogger Kristie said...

Betty Anne, you need to write a book. Honestly, you always make me smile, cry, laugh...

What a precious story and recipe. I am so glad your sister had it!!! My grandma used to make Earthquake cake and I don't think I have her recipe but you know, I think I will call my aunt and see if I can't get it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Oh, and fabulous layout of course!!! That bird is gorgeous~

 
At January 27, 2011 at 7:02 AM , Blogger bakscrap said...

What a great memory. I love that you preserved the original recipe.

 
At January 27, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Blogger stampinglyn said...

This is such a treasured memory Betty Anne. I love how you preserved the recipe for future generations. Perfect paper choices for your layout. Beautiful job girl!!!

 
At January 27, 2011 at 9:20 AM , Blogger D said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes Betty! How wonderful that your sis hand the recipe in your mom's writting. Such a gift. Your layout is beautiful :)

 
At January 31, 2011 at 6:53 PM , Blogger Kelly Massman said...

How fun! I love your story! I used that paper on a layout I posted today! How fun!

 
At January 31, 2011 at 6:54 PM , Blogger Kelly Massman said...

P.S. I've headed over from Denise's blog challenge Project 2011 where we use up stash!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 3:14 PM , Blogger Carolina said...

What a sweet story, Betty!

 
At February 10, 2011 at 5:54 PM , Blogger Teresa Davis said...

Oh Betty Anne, I loved the story about your mom and her candy!!!! I especially loved the part about the hunk of butter...I'm so glad to know that a hunk is all is also 2 Tbsp...how funny. What a wonderful memory and how awesome that it tasted like hers and it took you back to her likeness for those moments...that is truly precious! My maternal grandmother had things she made the old fashioned way too without traditional measurements and she was always right on. She made this dessert she called a "plum pandowdy". I don't even know how to spell that, it was not in any of her recipes, it was probably the most favorite dessert of hers for our whole family. It was always the hit of the huge family reunions we had when I was a girl and if you wanted some you had better get it the 1st go round or it would be gone..she would bring 2 or 3 of them each time. Anyway, it is lost to us, and we talk about it every now and then. I have done some recipe searches on the internet and tried a few things that seemed close, but they were not the same.

 
At February 11, 2011 at 4:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful story and precious emmory this is! Love the part about a hunk of butter! When a good friend of mine passed away I got to scan her recipe box that came from her mother. I loved all the recipes and I still make some stuff out of it. I still miss her dearly.
What a great recipe to have and I can see you biting in it and reliving it all!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home